Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Keeping it real!

You know I haven't blogged much because sometimes real life gets in the way and that is good. I have been busy with sick kids and laundry and freezer meals. I was happily putting my little life in order on Monday when my social work life called. My business got busy and I had to let go of my mommy life and work. A lot. And God is faithful as always. I totally lost my feeling of control on home life to do some much needed work. I love being a social worker and got the joy of serving as one a lot in the last 48 hours. God reminded me of the gifts He has given me.

I was also reminded that He always has my back. I couldn't pick my kids up, today. The wonderful people at school loved on my kids for 10 hours instead of 8. They were happy. My sweet friend gave my kids money for after school snacks. My sweet husband changed his schedule to pick them up and make mac and cheese. I got to serve another and that was a priviledge. Tomorrow I will likely get to do it again.

I think in my dailiness I get this feeling of control. I put the laundry in these little piles and the dishes in the dishwasher and I bring snacks to my kids when I pick them up. I feel all happy and in control. I'm not. Right now, I am stepping over clothes and about to put my dirty dish on the top of the pile of dirty dishes and sleep a next to my husband. And I feel like I am right where I need to be in the hands of my Heavenly Father trusting that He will parent when I can't and that He will hear my prayers. I didn't get to do dinner and hear about Grayson's field trip today. I didn't even see Lillian wake tonight, but someone else did and that was good. I am often more aware of God's love for me and mine in chaos than in order. I will hopefully sleep a good sleep tonight knowing that God is caring for my family all the time even when I am caring for someone else's. That is a good place to be. The parenting gig isn't 18 years then a launch to freedom at graduation. It is a million little launches of them trusting that they will be provided for when you aren't there. I will not always be there, but God who loves them way, way more than me will be and He will write their perfect story in ways that I would not. It will be a better story.

7 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

That is so good- " a million little launches". You are so wise.

Lora said...

Poignant and insightful post! You are correct-but I don't think we EVER completely lose sight of the "Ship"!

Anonymous said...

The idea of a million little launches is really helpful to think about with Nathan. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

That last post was me. Not trying to be mysterious. Just not so great with technology. -Ashley Watson

Christine Gordon said...

Wow is this ever true. I've thought often in the last 24 hours about how thankful I am that God loves and takes care of Elsie better than I ever will.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy and blessed that you and Peter are the parents of our grandchildren. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and prayers with Bill and me.

You and the other Maynor families are in our prayers every day more than once.

Maryhelen

P.S. I write anonymous, too, because I can't remember how to do otherwise.

shmaynor said...

beautiful melanie - you are a treasure.