Thursday, May 22, 2008

Fun

Today was Lillian's last official day of school. She had a great day and came home with a dvd of the year that her teacher made. It made me cry tears of joy. It has been a wonderful year of learning and growing. Lillian has learned so much this year. Her teacher sent home lots of homework for the summer to continue the reading and writing. Tomorrow she will go for the last chapel and carnival of sorts. Our whole family will be there for the afternoon then we will have Max and Briggs a couple of nights this weekend. It is summer break. Wow! Doesn't feel like it much, today, we wore jackets.

Last night I got a call from my cousin and his wife (Chad and Ashley). "Umm, we are going to be in St. Louis tomorrow. Can we see you?" We were thrilled. Two of there three children are exactly the same age as ours and they all love to play in Zachary. This was their first trip to St. Louis for a visit. They spent the morning at the Arch and then stopped by to hang out and go to dinner. It was so much fun. I think we convinced them to come back for a longer visit. They headed out to Branson after dinner. What an unexpected treat!

We are totaling 46 on our Race for the Cure sign up with a few more that plan to sign up. Every person that signs up brings me so much joy. We had a few people from our church sign up and several of my mom's friends from Zachary. It is so sweet to see her friends sign up as I know they would be celebrating her 6oth birthday with her if she were still living. It is nice to know how many people remember her, miss her and loved her. My heart is full.

We are looking forward to a fun weekend of grilling, playing with cousins, maybe the pool and the Memorial day run on Monday. It will be the first race I have run with my family cheering me on. Peter tells me the weather will be great this weekend. The chickens are growing so fast and we continue to enjoy them. We did lose one, but that is to be expected. The children were not too upset.

A few people have suggested that it might be difficult for the kids to eat chicken after having chickens of their own. My experience of growing up in the country with a hunter and a fisherman for a father makes me think they will just see the life cycle. We saw a lot of things live to dead and ate them with gusto. I will admit that I was a little concerned because we eat a fair amount of chicken. Well, the menu last night called for a whole chicken cooked with couscous for dinner. The children were helping me prepare. As I pulled the whole chicken out, Lillian said, "Mama, Don't let the chicks see it." Well, everyone got full on chicken, so I think we are okay for now.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: