Monday, March 23, 2009

Road Trip Day One








Those of you who are frequent fliers here at the Lilygray blog may know that we are road tripping it back home from California in Peter's new to him 4 runner.  Today, we left the Pearson's.  There were many tears all around.  Mostly, me and Genna.  We had a blast with them.  We decided while at the Pearson's to forgo the most direct and 'short' way home for the more interesting route.  It only adds five hours.  What is that when you are going to be in the car for days anyway?? So, we headed to Monterey, CA this morning. 

Along the way, I had to make a pit stop and Peter stopped in some random location where no one spoke English.  I kept saying restroom and they just looked at me.  We finally found a 7-eleven and all got to potty.  On the way out, Lillian asked, "Is Barrack Obama president here?"  Too funny!  At a gas stop, we saw a sign saying that this town was the artichoke capital of the world.  I don't remember seeing them grow ever before.  We also saw this huge artichoke and decided try their fried artichokes.  I wouldn't drive to California for them, but they were fun to try.  

We arrived in Monterey and stopped at the Fisherman's Wharf to see the sea lions then headed to the aquarium.  I have been to several aquariums and this one was amazing.  We were able to eat and look out over the water at the aquarium.  We enjoyed lots of exhibits and the touch exhibits.   We were able to watch them feed the penguins.  This was really fun because Lillian's class just studied them.   We saw lots of fish including sharks, G's favorite.  I really enjoyed seeing all of the jellyfish.  After Monterey we headed down the California coast on Highway 1.  It is a beautiful drive and we really enjoyed seeing the water and the mountains.  We stopped several times for quick walks, to enjoy the view or for pictures.  You may notice I am a little green in a few of the pictures, but I never got sick.  I am thankful and honestly a little glad that the curvy roads are over for today.  We are at a hotel over looking the ocean and the kids are watching some cartoon as we wait for Peter to bring dinner at 9:30 p.m.  Ah, life on the road.  The kids have been wonderful and seem to be having a blast!   Hope you enjoy the pictures!

2 comments:

Lora said...

Sounds like a GREAT trip!

Lisa S. said...

It looks like you are having a great time! I am so jealous! The scenery is beautiful and it sounds like you are making the most of every minute of your road trip. I know you went to get the forerunner, but I have a feeling you are coming home with much, much more :)